Pages

Friday, December 4, 2009

Know When to Adjust a Goal

I had two upcoming goals:
1) try to hit 500 miles this year (I'm now at 410 miles)
2) try to break 2 1/2 hours in the half marathon SOON. Originally a New Year's Resolution at the beginning of '09, I now think it's a dream deferred for a couple months from me.

I wanted to hit 500 miles to keep my weekly mileage up and stay motivated to get in a few more runs. I was doing great, although it was still a very aggressive goal. Now I'm backing off.

My fibromyalgia has made my muscles slow to adjust to this past week's super cold temps (high 20s to mid 30s). Where were the few weeks of running in the low forties that I was supposed to get first?

I know I'm having trouble because I'm just more sore (than usual) everywhere. And especially in injury prone places like my Achilles and shins.

I ran 2 miles last night. It was in the low 30s. I admit I ran harder than normal because I was cold, but at mile 1.5 my Achilles had tensed up really bad and I had to stop and stretch more for a little while.

With a race next Sunday, areas of muscular weakness, and this cold weather, I just need to scale back a little. I'll keep adding on the mileage but not as high as my original goals. I think keeping up the runs and a few chiropractic adjustments and my body will start to acclimate.

But at the same time, it has me a little depressed for the upcoming White Rock Half. I am personally hoping for weather in the mid-forties at race start. Any colder right now and everything stiffens up! We'll see what the day brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment