Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

A Full and Crazy Last 2 Weeks

It's now been almost 2 weeks since my last big race. I was feeling pretty good after the race. Wednesday, I let you all in on the next BIG race goal I have planned and the 12 weeks of training that lay ahead. Thursday I got hit with a bad stomach flu. I mean B.A.D. I lost 5 pounds in one day.

No Road Trip For Me


It also means I sadly wasn't able to go to the Texas Independence Relay with the team I was captaining, the Queens of the Road. I love all these ladies, so not getting to spend all weekend with them left me so sad. I spent some of my time sick in bed getting everything set up for them, but I did have to be there when they picked up the rental vans since they were in my name. I almost lost it and started crying. It was good I didn't go because I was badly dehydrated and was sick off and on the rest of the weekend.
Before they left on their adventure - love these girls!
I was finally better enough Monday to run and do an hour of strength training with my trainer. And then on Wednesday, I did some heart rate training with a midday run. I tried to stay at a high Heart Rate Zone 2. And my mile splits reflected why I need to train at this heart rate zone. The first 3 miles had fairly consistent splits. And then the next 3 miles I was about 30 seconds per mile slower. Serious cardiac drift. Also showed me I can't maintain Zone 2 for very long runs in training right now.

Another Race As Training


Today I leave for Hells Hills 25K. Last year it was 2 weeks after my first trail race, and this was my first trail 25K. I finished in 3:56 and learned a lot about trailrunning. I wasn't planning on running it this year, but after having to stay home last weekend and being a sad Sally about it, Steve suggested I go to Hells Hills. Such a sweet husband!


I decided to run it and use it in my training to practice that HR Zone 2 more. Since we saw Wednesday that my pace suffers after just 3 miles at a high Zone 2 range, my plan for Hells Hills is this...

  • 1st mile is the only real uphill and we're all sorting ourselves out in the line through the single track switchbacks, so I'll stay back and take mile 1 super easy.
  • Mile 2 (by Garmin which isn't entirely accurate) at Zone 1.
  • Mile 3 at mid- to high-Zone 2.
  • Then alternate Zone 1 and Zone 2 miles through the rest of the race.
So my goals again are
  1. to practice Zone 2 and hopefully get some more Zone 2 miles out by doing intervals with easier Zone 1 miles.
  2. to get some trail time.
  3. to gather some data about what my trail paces tend to be in each of the Zones.
Now it would be nice if I also have a shiny new PR with my second ever trail 25K and on the same course! But last year I was more trained to run harder at that distance. Since then I concentrate so much on marathon or 50K distances that I think I have lost a lot of speed at the half marathon or 25K distance.

And of course, I'll pick up a pretty medal. That's not all bad! Not bad at all (I actually really love this year's logo!).


10 comments:

  1. Ok, that medal is so awesome!! Wish I could go. You go kick some bootay!! Glad you're feeling better! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool medal! Have fun and glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were so sick and missed your relay! But glad you are feeling better now and I look forward to a race report from Hells Hills from you! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! You should put it on your list for one year - I really enjoyed it last year and I'm looking forward to going back!

      Delete
  4. Whoa - that medal is sweet! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm usually not very focused on the bling but yeah, kinda loving that bling! :-)

      Delete
  5. Have a great race and enjoy that medal. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So we have established the medal is cool... But I think the awesome level of planning is even cooler :-)

    ReplyDelete