Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Running on Empty

How cliche! I'm sure anyone who has ever blogged about their running has used that post title. Add me to the list...

I was so bad about my body yesterday. I did not get my usual desserty espresso yummy beverage (my morning indulgence) and was sporting a pretty good caffeine headache by mid-afternoon. Add to that not eating for the first time in the day until about 2 pm, and only hitting about 500 calories total by the evening's 3 mile run, and I was setting myself up for failure.

A "cooler" front had come through and the temp had dropped 10-15 degrees this evening, but there was no breeze and the humidity was high.

I had planned to make it a 3 mile tempo run at about an 11:30 pace. I had to be dragged by my training buddy the last mile, but was able to pull a small kick the last tenth or two of a mile.

Not quite at the speed I was wanting but I had already set myself up for failure...
Mile 1: 11:36
Mile 2: 11:49
Mile 3: 11:29

Having not taken good care of my body, my energy level sunk after the run and my headache became much much worse. I ended up in bed by 10 pm and slept for 10 hours. Lesson officially learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment